Monday, April 03, 2006

Where Did the Glass Go?

Where did the glass go? Glass Coke bottles, glass medicine bottles, glass milk bottles? (I don’t remember glass milk bottles, but they sure looked cool.) I crave the old Coke, before they made it Coke Classic, in those tall skinny glass bottles. I used to go with my Dad to sell pigs, and we would each get a Coke in one of those bottles out of a special Coke machine at the hog market. That was always the most refreshing. I remember my Mother would always try and remember to take the empty cases of Coke back to Kroger to get the deposit money back before we bought more Coke. They were the best! There is not anyway to get that kind of Coke anymore. My husband recently bought me a case of the little cute bottles. They are charming and as close as you can get to the old recipe, but they still aren’t the same! Where did those bottles go? Once when I was in Mexico, I bought a Coke in a tall bottle. Did they decide that glass was bad for the environment, so they shipped all of the tall glass Coke bottles to Mexico? Why are we now using plastic? The carbonation isn’t the same and the liquid never gets as cold as it used to in glass bottles. They did away with the tall bottles, but at least they still had those shorter chubby glass bottles, that are now substituted with the plastic 500ml bottles. I really don’t like those at all!! I see people in the grocery with those hanging over their shopping cart, and I just want to say, “Please don’t buy those. Join the boycott of Coke in plastic bottles, and maybe they will hear our plea and return to glass!” But I think people are impressed that the plastic ones in the 6 packs, will hang over the sides of their carts, and I think they would probably just turn around and walk away from me or report me. Does anyone feel like I do? We have been cheated!! They have substituted a plastic bottle for the glass! Did they not think that we would notice? At first I thought that it was for the environment, but wouldn’t it be better to reuse a glass bottle over and over rather than make a plastic one and hope that someone would recycle it? (Don’t they know that really only people on the west coast and those in cities with socialized trash pickup recycle?) Most of us are just pitching the plastic bottles and they are accumulating in trash dumps all over the country. How many landfills will it take just to hold all of our unrecycled plastic Coke bottles that once held flat Coke? We could have used the glass bottle over and over again. For goodness sakes, we could have even bought our own glass bottles and just went back to get them refilled! Well, the beverage and glass industry will probably not hear my plea, but at least I have been heard by those who might dare to read my blog, and who might dare to care. Until I find the glass bottles, boycott the plastic ones!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are preachin to the choir sister. My Mom and I used to go to my Aunts store, buy the tall glass and some peanuts- pour the peanuts in the bottle... fizz...mm good.!

At Kens Barber Shop (By Hucks on Nebraska) you can get a glass bottle out of the authentic machine. Granted, his hair cutting technique hasn't changed since 1972 either- but you can still get a cold coke. Call me sometime and we'll walk to Kens and have a coke together.

Shannon

Anonymous said...

You can buy coke in glass bottles in downtown LA (the fashion district). I agree that coke in glass tastes better than coke in plastic. I will join you in the boycott of plastic bottles :-)

Wish we could of seen you and Darren in Las Vegas a few weeks ago---miss you guys, Rosie