Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Past



This week we are on vacation with our family in Florida. Today was the first day of our vacation and I took the boys to Dunkin Donuts this morning for breakfast. On our way back we were waiting at a light and a family with highschool boys crossed the street in front of us. Right after they past one way, a mother pushing a stroller with two little ones walked the other way. I commented to the boys about how the first family was going to be us someday and then I told them that the second lady was where Mommy was a few years ago. It hit me probably for the first time that I had already been through that stage of life and was not going to be there again. (I felt really old!) Kevin who is now 8, responded by saying, "It's like our whole life just walked in front of us!" Wow! I thought that was pretty insightful for an 8 year old boy. I told him it did seem like it and that I had better wake up and enjoy the vacation. (I was feeling a little out of it this morning!) He replied to this, "Wake up because it will soon be the past."

My son is amazing! Yes Kevin, I need to wake up because it will soon be the past. The past has gone by much faster than I ever thought it would. I realized tonight that I have been given 8 years with him already, but that in about 10 years, he will be grown! These 8 years have gone so fast, I cannot imagine only 10 more!

There are many times as a parent that I just want time alone! I just want to do my own thing. (Not a bit selfish, is it?) Tonight I just want my boys to be little boys forever. So Kevin, here is a picture of you on vacation when you were probably 3 and a picture of you right before we left on vacation this year. I love you!

4 comments:

IndyMom said...

Hope you've enjoyed the rest of your vacation.
The time does seem to fly by. Seems like just yesterday that we were in Marion celebrating your wedding. And, now we have school age kids. Wow!

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Just dropped in to say HI, and hope things are going good for you and your family! We are looking forward to seeing Darren in May. Will you be coming too???
-Lynnette

Christin said...

Kevin will always be three in my mind! Crazy that he's grown up so much in the last five years!

Samuel Bills said...

Like Christin - I am thinking that is the Kevin when we left for CA - and the Kevin after we have been gone - kids put your life in this strange perspective re: the passing of time